Loads of Ships shown on Anniversary Livestream 2016

Rogue Squadron's public grounds. Discuss any non-sensitive material within. The mess-hall is a public area where Rogue pilots may freely interact with other members of the Star Citizen universe.

Moderator: Squadron Moderator

Elfwyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Loads of Ships shown on Anniversary Livestream 2016

Postby Elfwyn » Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:19 pm

During the Livestream there were loads of "new" ships to be seen, including:

Capital Ships:
Idris
Javelin
Bengal

Upcoming Ships:
Drake Herald
Drake Caterpillar
Drake Cuttlass (new)
Origin 85X
Esperia Prowler

Skin Variants:
Avenger (Titan) Renegade
Hornet (F7C) Wildfire
Sabre Comet
Gladius Valiant

I think the Prowler looks very cool, but the price really prevents me from melting ships.
The Origin 85X lines and glossy finish looks sick, even though it is "just" a weak civillian transport.
The Caterpillar also made me like it more than I used to.
Lastly the new Cuttlass look is very nice in my opinion.

Role: Board Technical Administrator - "Got any problems? Ask me."

Current Ships (subject to change):
* Aegis Idris-M, Retaliator x2, Avenger x3, Gladius x3(-2), Redeemer x2, Vanguard x3, Sabre x3 * Anvil Hornet Super x8, Tracker x2, Gladiator x3, Carack, Crucible * Origin 890 Jump , 350R, M50 x3 * RSI Polaris, Constellation Phoenix, Orion * MISC Endeavor Hope, Starfarer-G x3, Hull B, E, Reliant Kore (-1), Mako, Sen, Tana, Prospector, Freelancer Dur * Drake Caterpillar, Cutlass Black, Red, Herald, Dragonfly x4 * Aopoa Khartu * BIRC Merchantman, Defender x2 * Crusader Genesis Starliner * Esperia Prowler
Kamikaz1
Rogue Squadron Member
Rogue Squadron Member

Re: Loads of Ships shown on Anniversary Livestream 2016

Postby Kamikaz1 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:34 pm

I have mixed feelings about this sale. I 'really' liked the angular 85X and now it's all round. The Prowler looks really nice and I love the Tevarian style...but the cost for such a role focused ship is extreme. Also they decided to instead of releasing all ships for sale now stretch it out over the week. So I'm not buying anything until everything is available next Saturday. Also over this weekend they have the Javeling for $2700 cash only and Idris-P for $1300 cash only this weekend.
|Idris-P |Comet |-REDACTED- |Hammerhead |Harbinger |-REDACTED- |Renegade |Vulcan |F7A-M Super Hornet |F8C Lightning |Mustang Delta |Hercules C2 |Hercules A2 |Cutlass Blue |Vulture |Endeavor |Freelancer MAX |Prospector |Razor EX |Star-G |125A |135C |600iE |890 Jump |Apollo Medivac |Orion |Phoenix |Emerald Phoenix |Polaris
Shiv-Katall
Public Speaker
Public Speaker

Postby Shiv-Katall » Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:16 pm

I havent been watching the livestream. Just got back from work. Any pics of the new Cutlass? The redesign will be what determines if I keep my Cutlass or change to the Freelancer.

The Gladius Valiant skin looks nice I hope the Hornet Wildfire does too (still have my Buccaneer but the lack of ejection seat is really offputting for me so Im really considering making it at least an F7C if not a Super.)
Cutlass Black 'Night Caller', Dragonfly Black 'Flare', Vanguard Warden 'Starwing', Buccaneer (May replace with Hornet), Aurora LN, *REDACTED*
Kamikaz1
Rogue Squadron Member
Rogue Squadron Member

Postby Kamikaz1 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:41 pm

From what I saw in the Livestream the Cutlass is a bit more compact. Also it has the side mounted hatch back and they seem to have redesigned it to look more like the original concept. Even the gripper arms in the front are back. The front landing gear seems to have been moved to where the nose turret used to be and two more guns are placed on the upper hull which along with the two on the forward wings and turret brings it's gun total up to 6. They had a bunch of pictures of it in grey box. I'm really considering buying back my Cutlass Blue if the side mounted thrusters that immediately caused you to lose control of the ship if they were destroyed are truly gone.

As for the Prowler I 'really' like how it looks. Especially after it was pointed out that it looks like the Copperhead from FF:The Spirits Within. I'm thinking I might get one now that CIG has opened the flood gates and are selling capital ships like hotcakes. With planetary landings being a thing and Star Marine showing that time to kill is relatively short a sneak attack with the dozen or so boarders a Prowler can bring could be devasting to an enemy cap ship or ground base alike. I have a sinking suspicion that prowler assault team could easily ruin the night of a solo cap ship captain with a NPC crew. I'm also really glad I picked up a Terrapin as well.
|Idris-P |Comet |-REDACTED- |Hammerhead |Harbinger |-REDACTED- |Renegade |Vulcan |F7A-M Super Hornet |F8C Lightning |Mustang Delta |Hercules C2 |Hercules A2 |Cutlass Blue |Vulture |Endeavor |Freelancer MAX |Prospector |Razor EX |Star-G |125A |135C |600iE |890 Jump |Apollo Medivac |Orion |Phoenix |Emerald Phoenix |Polaris
Simon Reach
Rogue Squadron Member
Rogue Squadron Member

Postby Simon Reach » Sat Nov 19, 2016 2:23 am

Cutlass got fat but does look fantastic and the Prowler looks amazing. One of the things I'll hopefully be doing this coming week is swapping my Starfarer for a Hull, we'll see though as money is very tight at the moment.
Simon "SkyKiller" Reach

Fighters: Aegis Gladius, Anvil F7C-M Super Hornet, Aegis Sabre, Aegis Vanguard Warden
Bombers: Aegis Retaliator, Anvil Gladiator
Transport: MISC Hull-D
Capitals: Idris-P Frigate "Elizabeth Day"
Elfwyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Elfwyn » Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:35 am

Regarding the FPS Gameplay: In my personal opinion it is too fast paced by around 20%-40% speedwise. The way those characters race through the corridors does not feel realistic compared to their body mass. Feels more like Quake or Counterstrike at the moment.

* Aegis Idris-M, Retaliator x2, Avenger x3, Gladius x3(-2), Redeemer x2, Vanguard x3, Sabre x3 * Anvil Hornet Super x8, Tracker x2, Gladiator x3, Carack, Crucible * Origin 890 Jump , 350R, M50 x3 * RSI Polaris, Constellation Phoenix, Orion * MISC Endeavor Hope, Starfarer-G x3, Hull B, E, Reliant Kore (-1), Mako, Sen, Tana, Prospector, Freelancer Dur * Drake Caterpillar, Cutlass Black, Red, Herald, Dragonfly x4 * Aopoa Khartu * BIRC Merchantman, Defender x2 * Crusader Genesis Starliner * Esperia Prowler
Kamikaz1
Rogue Squadron Member
Rogue Squadron Member

Postby Kamikaz1 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:40 am

So...after thinking about it for awhile I believe the Prowler is beautiful and it'll be awesome to see rebel npc Tevarin ships coming in and dropping off troops but from the perspective of a 'player' I think this ship is horrible.

I was surprised myself when I came to that conclusion but just think about it for a minute. The focused role of this ship is to drop roughly a dozen or more players for a $425 price tag. That's a dozen or so players packed into a 34m ship like sardines with nothing to do. No turrets to man. No systems to tune. Even if they want to take pot shots at passing fighters with their small arms only 8 of them can do so.

Unless players can hire their own fps mercenaries the number of players you need to make this ship worthwhile for it's cost is insane. That amount of players could probably easily run a Polaris or even maybe a Idris with that many people. If you're not boarding a capital ship the size of an Idris or greater you're better off just bringing a bunch of smaller ships. Also if you are making an attempt on a capital ship and it has a Terrapin or Hornet Tracker and spots you how much fun will it be for over a dozen players shot down and killed without having done anything at all?

Yeah I was considering it but I'm definitely not buying one of these. It costs way too much for the gameplay it offers and despite being realistic and great for npcs requires way too many real life players to be worth it. Although it's not a purpose made dropship I can see more value in using a slightly modified Constellation Taurus with a pair of rovers and some dragonflies in the cargo bay. I can fly that in and hop into a rover to fight with my buddies and not care if the Taurus gets blown up since it's a relatively cheap and common ship. If I had a Prowler (at nearly 3x the cost) I'd be limited to just dropping off my buddies and getting out of there so I wouldn't lose my rare and expensive ship.
Elfwyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Elfwyn » Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:55 am

I think it was a mistake to price the ship that way. It is a beautiful ship that will not impact game balance in any significant way, so why only marked it for such a small audience? For 250 I would have gotten at least one. I would have put it in the same price category as a Vanguard.
This way even I can't put up the money currently and many others that would like a special ship, but will never pick it as their first and only ship will rather wait for it to be available in game.

Kamikaz1
Rogue Squadron Member
Rogue Squadron Member

Postby Kamikaz1 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:18 am

I get what you're saying Elfwyn. At this point I'm just going to wait for the 'next' Tevarin ship to come out that's a bit more useful. I love the design but it's definitely a ship I can get in game.
Shiv-Katall
Public Speaker
Public Speaker

Postby Shiv-Katall » Sat Nov 19, 2016 12:05 pm

So from the sounds of it the Cutlass will fit the Dragonfly without issue now, the extra hardpoints also sound good, I did feel the Cutlass was kinda under-gunned, especially since if youre going to use it for the purpose of boarding one or more points are taken up by Suckerpunch cannons. I think I'll keep my cutlass and forego upgrading to the Lancer. Gain $10 to use somewhere else and plus the Cutlass feels more Wraith like for clandestine ops.

The FPS does seem a little fast passed but it is Star Marine which like arena commander is more an in game game than the real deal.
Cutlass Black 'Night Caller', Dragonfly Black 'Flare', Vanguard Warden 'Starwing', Buccaneer (May replace with Hornet), Aurora LN, *REDACTED*

Return to “Public Mess-Hall”