Official Rogue Squadron Voice Chat - input needed

Any important announcements will be posted here. This forum section is limited access - only admins and moderators may create new threads.

Moderator: Squadron Moderator

What is your preferred VOIP service for gaming?

Poll ended at Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:20 am

Ventrilo
20%
TeamSpeak 3
73%
Mumble
No votes
C3
No votes
Dolby Axon
7%

Total votes: 15
Corran Horn
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Official Rogue Squadron Voice Chat - input needed

Postby Corran Horn » Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:20 am

We will soon be getting a dedicated VOIP service for the Squadron. It will be either Ventrillo or TeamSpeak 3. I am comfortable with both of them and have used them for a long time, so I will let all of you cast your vote for your preferred service. I will let this poll run until February 10th, giving everyone a good week and a half to cast their vote before I start investigating pricing.

Once we have settled on the service to use, I will look into licensing and pricing for a dedicated server (as opposed to having a room on a shared/community server). Once I have that info, I'll make it public to you guys - I'll cover it if I can, but a few bucks here and there would go a long way depending on how much it costs :P
Arc_Alpha
Rogue Squadron Member
Rogue Squadron Member

Re: Official Rogue Squadron Voice Chat - input needed

Postby Arc_Alpha » Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:31 am

Teamspeak for the win.
Vanisher
Rogue Squadron Member
Rogue Squadron Member

Postby Vanisher » Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:32 am

Well it really depends on how many people we're going to have constantly in the voice server. Right off the bat I'll say no to Ventrilo because of how horrible it can be with the way voices are transmitted and it's overall lack of customization. Teamspeak works with just about anything and has plugins for when it doesn't work. Additionally TS3 offers several usergroup options and permissions and seems to get the goto for SC orgs already. Dolby is an awesome little feature, it's completely free and is by far one of the most enjoyable pieces of voice hosting software I have ever used. However, it's quite limited in what it can do because you can only break it up into 4 rooms total for one channel. Overall I think TS3 would be good for if we get a lot more people, but until then Axon could just serve the purpose because of how easy and most importantly how free it is. The voice quality is also superb imo.
"Rogue Squadron doesn’t run. Unless we really, really have to."
RS_Wraith
Squadron Communications
Squadron Communications

Postby RS_Wraith » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:03 am

I have never used TS3 so I would have to go with Vent, seems to work well enough for the few times I have used it. But I will happily learn something new if it is better, just make sure it is ID-10T friendly for peeps like me :-)
"If you heard my shot, you were not my target."

Ships: Herald, Cutlass Red, F7C-M Super Hornet, Constellation Taurus, & 890 Jump
Lunimaria
I can spell!
I can spell!

Postby Lunimaria » Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:02 pm

Id vote for TS3. But thats mostly because its the only one of those I've used
briguy
Rogue Squadron Member
Rogue Squadron Member
Location: Northern Va--------Assets: Hornet, Constellation, 315p, M50, Retaliator, 350r

Postby briguy » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:42 pm

I did TS3 too but honestly I'll go for whatever the majority is. I'll also throw a few bucks your way Corran to help setup and maintain whatever hosting service you choose.

Constellation: Dawn’s Shadow; F7C-M: Victory’s Bane; Sabre: Ombra Serena; Gladius: ; Cutlass Red: ; 350r: ; M50: ; Retaliator: ; Gladiator: ; Herald: ; Redeemer: ; Carrack: Ombreggiato Lembos; Khartu-al: ; Freelancer DUR: ; BMM: ; 890 Jump: ; Starfarer-G: ; Vanguard: ; Endeavor: ; Crucible: ; Reclaimer: ; Idirs-P: ;

“The unwanting soul sees what’s hidden, and the ever-wanting soul sees only what it wants.”

A piece of badass machinery!
Behudeti
Rogue Squadron Member
Rogue Squadron Member

Postby Behudeti » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:15 pm

Whatever is easy lol
Katharn Skyborne
Rogue Squadron Member
Rogue Squadron Member

Postby Katharn Skyborne » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:39 am

I voted for Vent since thats the one ive been using, or the built-in that comes with whatever game im playing.
But whatever works, I will use :)
Katharn "Red Seven" Skyborne
FEAR AND LOATHING
Rogue Squadron Member
Rogue Squadron Member

Postby FEAR AND LOATHING » Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:39 am

Being an ex-Xboxer I've not used any of these before so I'm easy and will go with the flow
IronGoat
Rogue Squadron Member
Rogue Squadron Member

Postby IronGoat » Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:45 pm

Most comfortable with TS as I use that semi-regularly but I am quite happy to use any :)

Return to “Announcements”