Elite: Dangerous

Use this forum for discussions about games other than Star Citizen or SC forerunners, and for completely unrelated discussions. This is a public forum, so take care if you wish to post something intended only for squadron members.

Moderator: Squadron Moderator

Kelendir Ashendar
Rogue Squadron Member
Rogue Squadron Member

Re: Elite: Dangerous

Postby Kelendir Ashendar » Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:18 pm

No problem :)

And yeah, that made me chuckle too :D I think it stands for Credits :)
"I wonder what's behind that hill..." And so began Mankind thirst to exploration.
Kelendir Ashendar
Rogue Squadron Member
Rogue Squadron Member

Postby Kelendir Ashendar » Sat Sep 13, 2014 4:47 am

That game is really gorgeous in my opinion :

Link

To get this kind of picture, get inside a station ( doh... ), go to the Outfitting screen then press Ctrl+Alt+G to get rid of the interface ( do it again to get it back ) then press F10 or Alt+F10 ( 4k resolution ). The image will be in your "C:\Users\[User name]\My Pictures\Frontier Developments\Elite Dangerous.
"I wonder what's behind that hill..." And so began Mankind thirst to exploration.
Viking
Squadron Ally
Squadron Ally

Postby Viking » Sat Sep 13, 2014 7:27 am

Great tip - again. Thanks! :thumbup:
DarkenSeyreth
Rogue Squadron Member
Rogue Squadron Member

Postby DarkenSeyreth » Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:08 am

Kelendir Ashendar wrote:That game is really gorgeous in my opinion :

Link

To get this kind of picture, get inside a station ( doh... ), go to the Outfitting screen then press Ctrl+Alt+G to get rid of the interface ( do it again to get it back ) then press F10 or Alt+F10 ( 4k resolution ). The image will be in your "C:\Users\[User name]\My Pictures\Frontier Developments\Elite Dangerous.

I have to agree. Before I started playing I thought "ugh this game is just all orange and bleak and stuff." Then I get to Aulin station, and was like "Holy shit, this is a pretty, pretty station. I kind of don't want to land or leave." The renderings on many of the planets is just gorgeous too. It's winning me over quite a bit, but after doing a few laps in Murray Cup last night, I still feel like SC is going to be the superior product over all. E:D will become my tide over and then casual game eventually I think, while SC will be where I spend a good chunk of time.
WITNESS ME!

Current fleet: Hornet Ghost, Aurora LN, Freelancer MIS, M50
Viking
Squadron Ally
Squadron Ally

Postby Viking » Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:29 pm

Here's a video of a Bounty Hunter at work:

Foulplay
Rogue Squadron Member
Rogue Squadron Member

Postby Foulplay » Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:33 pm

I've been playing E:D on the Oculus Rift DK2 with a Warthog HOTAS and Saitek pedals and I love it to bits, I just hope Star Citizen implement similar options soon for control mapping and the VR support.
"I do not kill with my gun; he who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father. I kill with my heart.” - Roland of Gilead - The Dark Tower
Ships owned: Super Hornet // Constellation // Retalliator // Banu Merchantman
Kelendir Ashendar
Rogue Squadron Member
Rogue Squadron Member

Postby Kelendir Ashendar » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:21 am

Yes, I hope so Foulplay, but it'll be pretty hard on the hardware ( for now ), no ? If I'm correct, you need to have 60 fps on each eye at a 1080p resolution, right ? ( On the finished product, of course ).
DarkenSeyreth
Rogue Squadron Member
Rogue Squadron Member

Postby DarkenSeyreth » Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:45 am

Kelendir Ashendar wrote:Yes, I hope so Foulplay, but it'll be pretty hard on the hardware ( for now ), no ? If I'm correct, you need to have 60 fps on each eye at a 1080p resolution, right ? ( On the finished product, of course ).

The goal for Oculus CV1 is to have (the last I heard anyways) was at minimum a 1440p screen (to be shared across both eyes), and they feel the minimum refresh for best presence is 90Hz. I know the 900 series from Nvidia is doing some tricks to help aid with presence and decrease motion sickness, but we'll see just how well it works once the CV1 is out.
WITNESS ME!

Current fleet: Hornet Ghost, Aurora LN, Freelancer MIS, M50
Foulplay
Rogue Squadron Member
Rogue Squadron Member

Postby Foulplay » Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:18 am

For the DK2 you need to maintain 1080p 75hz at all times to keep the low persistence screen mode enabled, which eliminates blurring. I got a GTX 980 which has some VR specific optimisations called VR Direct or something similar, but the difference is probably quite subtle compared to when I was running E:D on a 670.

CV1 will probably be 1440p 90hz which will be a hell of a lot harder to drive, but by then NVidia should hopefully have found an alternative way to handle SLI without increasing latency, and the other hope is that some SLI profiles start to appear for more VR content. I ditched my SLI 670's because more and more console ports are ignoring SLI altogether, and barely any VR content uses it.

Also, it seems mobile manufacturers including Samsung aren't open to developing screens that the CV1 will need to use with that sort of refresh rate or resolution, so it will be interesting to see how it all pans out.
"I do not kill with my gun; he who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father. I kill with my heart.” - Roland of Gilead - The Dark Tower
Ships owned: Super Hornet // Constellation // Retalliator // Banu Merchantman
Viking
Squadron Ally
Squadron Ally

Postby Viking » Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:28 am

Foulplay wrote:I ditched my SLI 670's because more and more console ports are ignoring SLI altogether, and barely any VR content uses it.

They do? Interesting. I guess it makes sense now that you mention it, because console hardware don't have room for more than one graphic card. Or do the new models have room for more than one?

Star Citizen is not going this route, of course. Quite the opposite way. Which will only widen the gap between PC and console players, I think. And that's a good thing.

Return to “General Chat - Other Games / Off Topic”