Elite: Dangerous

Use this forum for discussions about games other than Star Citizen or SC forerunners, and for completely unrelated discussions. This is a public forum, so take care if you wish to post something intended only for squadron members.

Moderator: Squadron Moderator

Viking
Squadron Ally
Squadron Ally

Re: Elite: Dangerous

Postby Viking » Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:05 am

Ok, is that why SC critics say it's "turrets in space" then? Does yaw work like this in SC? I have a hard time understanding the critics' arguments ... In this case the gimballed weapons are more gimballed in ED than in SC too. In Arena Commander it's harder to hit anything with gimballed weapons than in ED, right? So why are they complaining that SC is "turrets in space"? :?

If you want to read 90+ pages of poison about Star Citizen, just go to the ED forums: http://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=20451
I left the entire ED board after I had enough in that thread (and its predecessor). The thread is full of guys who are banned on RSI, or gets so much negative feedback that they prefer to spew out their SC hate in the ED forums instead. And the moderators sit mostly idle. So I had no other option than to leave.
DarkenSeyreth
Rogue Squadron Member
Rogue Squadron Member

Postby DarkenSeyreth » Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:02 pm

"Turreting" Has been an early multi-player "technique" that some people seem to be using, by just cutting their thrusters, decoupling and spinning in place taking pot shots. It works briefly, but any pilot worth his salt, especially as people become more and more skilled, will find a way to slip in behind or under him for a killing blow, or stay at the fringe of his weapons range and just lob missiles while taking the occasional pot shot. Plus, keep in mind that all the maneuvering thrusters are overpowered at the moment and ships will be harder to turn on a dime down the road.
WITNESS ME!

Current fleet: Hornet Ghost, Aurora LN, Freelancer MIS, M50
Viking
Squadron Ally
Squadron Ally

Postby Viking » Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:59 pm

Well, it's not wise to stay in one place and play like it was Space Invaders. As you say, you'll be shot down sooner or later when you're that vulnerable.
Deliverence
Rogue Squadron Member
Rogue Squadron Member

Postby Deliverence » Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:18 pm

Well the two handle flight simulation very differently but both are good, I prefer Elite over SC at the moment though this is likely because AC is in such early development while Elite is almost at release so it makes sense to have a higher level of polish at this stage of development.

I've been flying flight and space sims since the 80's and both will work no doubt about it, I think a lot of it will come down to personal preference as to which one you prefer but many seem to see the two games as rivals so I think you will see from each side a lot of criticism over why one sucks and the other is the way forward. Personally I would much rather have the two systems left the way they are as it makes each game unique and enjoyable to play, if the two where identical to one another there wouldn't be much point to playing both.

It is a shame about the forums over at Elite I tend to stay out of them I think I made my third post since KS the other day and that was due to upgrading to Beta. At any case with all the games I play this seems to be the norm people simply love to spew verbal criticism about everything these days.
I'm also supporting another game called shroud of the avatar spent more on that thing than every other backed game combined including SC just love it but there are some serious trolls over there and the developers got sick of it this week and created a video for it based from Jimmy Kimmel's Mean Tweets.
It's most amusing and if you get 5 minutes you should check it out, it's basically just the devs reading out the stupid troll comments on the forums.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOg3AJXGKgQ

I took this from the wiki as it goes into a bit of detail on how the two games approach this and thought it might be helpful.

"There are major differences in how each game handles close combat flight as you can see from this video. There is an inherent flaw with the premise of close combat space flight leading to endless turreting and circle-strafing especially in PVP multiplayer due to the lack of terrain features in mid space.

Elite: Dangerous deals with this by limiting the yaw rate and enforce an optimum corner speed by by way of thruster placement and limits in the flight control computer so you are forced to roll and then pitch to get the most efficient turn rate (less efficient, but most comfortable for a human pilot), in addition there is a G-LOC system, a preliminary version can be seen here.
In Star Citizen you can point your ship more intuitively like in an FPS fashion, since yaw is very strong (most efficient, but discomforting for a human pilot). It deals with turreting by having a G-LOC system as seen here, but this alone doesn't alleviate the problems completely, but it is less critical due to the lack of lightspeed lasers on the smaller ships. "

Source: http://elite-dangerous.wikia.com/wiki/E ... gerous_FAQ
F7C-M | Scythe | Glaive | MM | Genesis | Crucible | Gemini | Prospector | Phoenix | 890 |600 | Carrack | Hammerhead | Polaris | Idris-P | Black | Razor | Kue
Viking
Squadron Ally
Squadron Ally

Postby Viking » Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:25 pm

Interesting video ... :shock:

However, I'm not really surpriced. Since the 1970's the upbringing standard has gone down the drain. People don't know anymore how to behave. Instead they're told how unique they are, like (unpolished) diamonds.

And I mean that literally - they don't KNOW how to behave! I see it clearly every single day. Example: my parents had a kiosk and one day some youngsters sat down on the stairs to the entrance and blocked it, to eat chicken wings from a bag. What did they do with the bones? You guessed it: they just dropped them right there on the spot they were sitting, on the stairs. So my mom went out and asked them nicely if they would please not litter the stairs with chicken bones and block the entrance.

They just looked at her with open mouths and empty stares. Obviously shocked by the thought that they'd done anything wrong and it was probably also the first time in their young lives they'd had any corrective from an adult ... It was crystal clear they didn't knew they were doing anything wrong. Just innocent small diamonds. LOL

So you see I can't stand the public forums at RSI or ED anymore. I probably have a lower irritation threshold than most others, but it just is too much for me to handle. So I stay away.
Viking
Squadron Ally
Squadron Ally

Postby Viking » Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:54 pm

Elite: Dangerous is now in beta! :D

DarkenSeyreth
Rogue Squadron Member
Rogue Squadron Member

Postby DarkenSeyreth » Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:21 pm

Viking wrote:Elite: Dangerous is now in beta! :D

Hmm at a very tempting price too... My resolve is starting to waiver...
WITNESS ME!

Current fleet: Hornet Ghost, Aurora LN, Freelancer MIS, M50
Viking
Squadron Ally
Squadron Ally

Postby Viking » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:26 am

Tempting the dark side is. Stay on target! Stay on target! ;)
Viking
Squadron Ally
Squadron Ally

Postby Viking » Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:05 pm

E3 2014 Trailer

briguy
Rogue Squadron Member
Rogue Squadron Member
Location: Northern Va--------Assets: Hornet, Constellation, 315p, M50, Retaliator, 350r

Postby briguy » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:18 pm

Deliverence, when do you play? If it's within both of our time zones, wanna link up and do some stuff?

Constellation: Dawn’s Shadow; F7C-M: Victory’s Bane; Sabre: Ombra Serena; Gladius: ; Cutlass Red: ; 350r: ; M50: ; Retaliator: ; Gladiator: ; Herald: ; Redeemer: ; Carrack: Ombreggiato Lembos; Khartu-al: ; Freelancer DUR: ; BMM: ; 890 Jump: ; Starfarer-G: ; Vanguard: ; Endeavor: ; Crucible: ; Reclaimer: ; Idirs-P: ;

“The unwanting soul sees what’s hidden, and the ever-wanting soul sees only what it wants.”

A piece of badass machinery!

Return to “General Chat - Other Games / Off Topic”