Elite: Dangerous

Use this forum for discussions about games other than Star Citizen or SC forerunners, and for completely unrelated discussions. This is a public forum, so take care if you wish to post something intended only for squadron members.

Moderator: Squadron Moderator

Deliverence
Rogue Squadron Member
Rogue Squadron Member

Re: Elite: Dangerous

Postby Deliverence » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:21 am

Very true about the pricing Viking, also in a way it was a big incentive for people to upgrade during KS was one of the main reasons unlike SC which offered ships as the incentive Elite needed a way to to hit their target goal after all.
Ow glad to hear you snaged Voice Attack I've heard great things about that, yet to give it a try once you setup it up please let me know how you got on with it as may have to give it a shot.

I really hope you manage to get your new rig soon, at least you have one of the big expenses out of the way in the form of the HOTAS equipment that's a bit of a killer on the wallet and from what I recall you have a very nice setup.
If you do pickup the trackIR which I strongly recommend they make both a standard and a pro version of this, but from all the info I read people state to go the standard over the pro as the pro clips have a tendency of breaking.

I took the advice and just went standard works great for me, though if you have any back light say from vertical blinds it can make it go haywire.

Also just making sure mate did you check out the concept art of the 890 Jump?
F7C-M | Scythe | Glaive | MM | Genesis | Crucible | Gemini | Prospector | Phoenix | 890 |600 | Carrack | Hammerhead | Polaris | Idris-P | Black | Razor | Kue
DarkenSeyreth
Rogue Squadron Member
Rogue Squadron Member

Postby DarkenSeyreth » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:49 pm

For those of you who are looking into Track IR and are handy with a soldering gun, FreeTrack is worth looking into. It works off of a normal webcam and if you can solder a couple IR LEDs to a power source then you can make your own version of the pro clip for a fraction of the cost. I'm still playing with it myself but so far so good. Unfortunately I just upped my voltage and accidentally blew all of my LEDs, so i have a small setback atm, lol, but will report back once I get it working.
WITNESS ME!

Current fleet: Hornet Ghost, Aurora LN, Freelancer MIS, M50
Viking
Squadron Ally
Squadron Ally

Postby Viking » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:31 pm

Deliverence wrote:If you do pickup the trackIR which I strongly recommend they make both a standard and a pro version of this, but from all the info I read people state to go the standard over the pro as the pro clips have a tendency of breaking.

Thanks for the tip. I'll try to remember that.

Deliverence wrote:Also just making sure mate did you check out the concept art of the 890 Jump?

I've seen one image of what supposedly is the 890 Jump, which someone found on Sandi's Facebook page (I think) and showed me. Was that you? I forget ... Anyway, that's the only image I've seen so far. Are there more I haven't seen?
Deliverence
Rogue Squadron Member
Rogue Squadron Member

Postby Deliverence » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:12 pm

This was posted by Eric about a week ago in chat roll, strange thing is CIG don't like anyone talking about it on the RSI Forums yet it's everywhere including on the wiki's probably the same one you saw earlier I'd say.
Really wish they would release this stuff on the RSI site, I know a lot of subs are wondering why they pay subs for info when it's revealed through face book, chat roll, twitter and other media outlets first.

http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2014 ... 0_jump.png
F7C-M | Scythe | Glaive | MM | Genesis | Crucible | Gemini | Prospector | Phoenix | 890 |600 | Carrack | Hammerhead | Polaris | Idris-P | Black | Razor | Kue
Viking
Squadron Ally
Squadron Ally

Postby Viking » Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:08 pm

Deliverence wrote:Really wish they would release this stuff on the RSI site, I know a lot of subs are wondering why they pay subs for info when it's revealed through face book, chat roll, twitter and other media outlets first.

http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2014 ... 0_jump.png

Yes, that's the image I was shown. I agree completely with you about how they reveal things. To me it looks as if everyone at CIG thinks everybody on Earth use Facebook (and chatroll).

If you say you don't use FB I feel you get the same reaction as a friend of mine who said in a chinese restaurant she didn't like rice ... then the chef and half the kitchen came out to look at her. They've probably not seen anyone before who didn't like rice! :lol:

On topic: Elite, Elite: Dangerous, ED, FD and DB. <-- all good! :D
Elfwyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Elfwyn » Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:15 am

I am not really concerned, as we will hear of any news and new images quite soon after it was published on any outlet.
Agonizing about it might force Chris to issue orders to Wingman or Sandi accordingly which might result in CIG people being less open with new content.

Role: Board Technical Administrator - "Got any problems? Ask me."

Current Ships (subject to change):
* Aegis Idris-M, Retaliator x2, Avenger x3, Gladius x3(-2), Redeemer x2, Vanguard x3, Sabre x3 * Anvil Hornet Super x8, Tracker x2, Gladiator x3, Carack, Crucible * Origin 890 Jump , 350R, M50 x3 * RSI Polaris, Constellation Phoenix, Orion * MISC Endeavor Hope, Starfarer-G x3, Hull B, E, Reliant Kore (-1), Mako, Sen, Tana, Prospector, Freelancer Dur * Drake Caterpillar, Cutlass Black, Red, Herald, Dragonfly x4 * Aopoa Khartu * BIRC Merchantman, Defender x2 * Crusader Genesis Starliner * Esperia Prowler
Viking
Squadron Ally
Squadron Ally

Postby Viking » Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:19 pm

A user created YouTube video of Elite: Dangerous (I expect not without modding ED).

Or here: http://tinyurl.com/o88vopz
Deliverence
Rogue Squadron Member
Rogue Squadron Member

Postby Deliverence » Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:29 am

I have to say killing enemies in Elite feels very rewarding, it's a proper game of cat and mouse. Having to constantly spin to get the right angles, hitting the after burner and going full stick as they try to run then quickly throttling back to 1/2 as they try and out turn you. Even a single kill feels like you really worked for it and that you earned it as you are handed a few credits for your duty.

Also I've given up using the pedals for yaw, at least during combat they simply aren't needed and due to the slow turn rate I find them more of a hindrance than an advantage.

Real good video to that Viking saw that one the other day, pretty amazing stuff.
Viking
Squadron Ally
Squadron Ally

Postby Viking » Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:59 am

Sorry to hear the pedals are disappointing. Can't you adjust the speed of the yaw function on the pedals?

Here's a video showing how you can see trade routes with a glance. Very cool and helpful for traders!

Deliverence
Rogue Squadron Member
Rogue Squadron Member

Postby Deliverence » Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:54 am

Sadly not really an option there has been a lot of debate regarding the yaw in Elite but the short answer is basically David wanted to restrict this so it was a game design. The reasoning behind this is he didn't want ships to just say parked in space and act as a turret or ship battles where you are facing the enemy and it's basically up down left and right to target the opposing ship. So while it works and is suitable for flying around in combat it's just simply to slow, you're much better off just rotating the ship which is really quick and changing the direction that way.

Return to “General Chat - Other Games / Off Topic”