Computer Hardware Releases/Reviews

Use this forum for discussions about games other than Star Citizen or SC forerunners, and for completely unrelated discussions. This is a public forum, so take care if you wish to post something intended only for squadron members.

Moderator: Squadron Moderator

Viking
Squadron Ally
Squadron Ally

Re: Computer Hardware Releases/Reviews

Postby Viking » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:53 pm

DarkenSeyreth wrote:I am seriously considering a WS board as my next MB. It may not have all the bells and whistles of some of the ROG ones, but they are rock solid. Then again, I also saw this posted on reddit earlier, and I am almost sold on it. https://imgur.com/a/SM488

Yeah, I saw a review of the Deluxe MB ... on AnandTech I think ... but the WS model is a much better board. ASUS says the ROG version Maximus V is the flagship, but I disagree. I think they're saying that because it's more directed to the general market than the WS model, which is marketed to businesses and professionals. The ROG board has more features on the sound side, and a few other things, like wlan, but lacks the features that matters most (I think): four-way SLI/Crossfire at full speed, and solid overclock support in hardware.
Kelendir Ashendar
Rogue Squadron Member
Rogue Squadron Member

Postby Kelendir Ashendar » Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:38 pm

I am also on the fence for building a new computer at the end of the year, since my current one can't run the Hangar module very well ( 2600k, GTX580 SLI, Sabertooth P67 MB ).

So far, I think I'll go with those components :
CPU : i7-5930k
MB : Asus X99E-WS
RAM : 4x8 Gb DDR4 ( for now only 4, then 4 more later on, still undecided on brand and model )
GPU : GTX 980x2 Asus ( Waiting on the non reference model, most likely with DCII or III, MSI no more... stupid fans )
Sound card : Asus STX Essence II 7.1
HDD : Crucial M500 M.2 240 Gb ( system ), Asus ROG Raidr Express ( games ), 2x Samsung 840 Evo 500 Gb ( applications and cache ), 4x Seagate Barracuda 2 Tb ( data, lots of it )
PSU : Seasonic X-760 ( the one in my current computer, one of the best brand around )
Case : not decided yet, but a Silverstone FT-02 would be awesome :)
Cooling : not decided. Using my current Noctua NH-D14 or going water cooling with a stand alone kit (Corsair, Cooler Master or even the Intel one )

Bear in mind that this will be my video/photo editing computer as well as gaming, that's why I need all this storage space ( shooting RAW, even in 1080p eats up a lot of space ). If you have any advice to give me, don't hesitate, since I'm a bit out of loop nowadays :lol:
"I wonder what's behind that hill..." And so began Mankind thirst to exploration.
Viking
Squadron Ally
Squadron Ally

Postby Viking » Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:06 pm

I'd choose a larger power supply and more RAM if I were you, otherwise that'll be very good indeed!
DarkenSeyreth
Rogue Squadron Member
Rogue Squadron Member

Postby DarkenSeyreth » Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:40 am

Viking wrote:I'd choose a larger power supply and more RAM if I were you, otherwise that'll be very good indeed!

Mostly agree with Viking here. My main bottleneck with AC is my RAM. The 900 series are supposed to be low power (~150v for the GTX970), but if I had to choose between a second GPU that i could pick up down the road, and get more RAM instead, or a better PSU and RAM, i would take the later any day. The PSU upgrade isn't essential, but good choice on going Gold series anyways, and go modular if you want a cleaner build.

Aside from that, great choices on your build, I'm probably going to try and afford something very similar next year.
WITNESS ME!

Current fleet: Hornet Ghost, Aurora LN, Freelancer MIS, M50
briguy
Rogue Squadron Member
Rogue Squadron Member
Location: Northern Va--------Assets: Hornet, Constellation, 315p, M50, Retaliator, 350r

Postby briguy » Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:48 pm

DarkenSeyreth wrote:
Viking wrote:I'd choose a larger power supply and more RAM if I were you, otherwise that'll be very good indeed!

Mostly agree with Viking here. My main bottleneck with AC is my RAM. The 900 series are supposed to be low power (~150v for the GTX970), but if I had to choose between a second GPU that i could pick up down the road, and get more RAM instead, or a better PSU and RAM, i would take the later any day. The PSU upgrade isn't essential, but good choice on going Gold series anyways, and go modular if you want a cleaner build.

Aside from that, great choices on your build, I'm probably going to try and afford something very similar next year.

I concur as well. If you're going to get 2 980's you will need a minimum of 8-900 watt PSU. Even though the 980's will run a lot better with lower power yield, still you need power to run hard drivex/SSD, processor, RAM and any other device you may connect to it. It all adds up.

RAM is the lifeblood of your system and since this game uses 8GB of RAM, I wouldn't get anything lower than 12GB. 8GB for SC and the remaining 4GB for the OS and a few programs.

Everything else does look good!

update: grammar and spelling corrections
Last edited by briguy on Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Constellation: Dawn’s Shadow; F7C-M: Victory’s Bane; Sabre: Ombra Serena; Gladius: ; Cutlass Red: ; 350r: ; M50: ; Retaliator: ; Gladiator: ; Herald: ; Redeemer: ; Carrack: Ombreggiato Lembos; Khartu-al: ; Freelancer DUR: ; BMM: ; 890 Jump: ; Starfarer-G: ; Vanguard: ; Endeavor: ; Crucible: ; Reclaimer: ; Idirs-P: ;

“The unwanting soul sees what’s hidden, and the ever-wanting soul sees only what it wants.”

A piece of badass machinery!
briguy
Rogue Squadron Member
Rogue Squadron Member
Location: Northern Va--------Assets: Hornet, Constellation, 315p, M50, Retaliator, 350r

Postby briguy » Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:49 pm

BTW, 970 and 980 are available, here is a review of the two: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvi ... ,3941.html

Good luck finding one because their going up like hotcakes

Constellation: Dawn’s Shadow; F7C-M: Victory’s Bane; Sabre: Ombra Serena; Gladius: ; Cutlass Red: ; 350r: ; M50: ; Retaliator: ; Gladiator: ; Herald: ; Redeemer: ; Carrack: Ombreggiato Lembos; Khartu-al: ; Freelancer DUR: ; BMM: ; 890 Jump: ; Starfarer-G: ; Vanguard: ; Endeavor: ; Crucible: ; Reclaimer: ; Idirs-P: ;

“The unwanting soul sees what’s hidden, and the ever-wanting soul sees only what it wants.”

Kelendir Ashendar
Rogue Squadron Member
Rogue Squadron Member

Postby Kelendir Ashendar » Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:00 pm

Thank you guys :) I'll get a 1000w Platinum Seasonic PSU then.

And my video cards will be the Asus STRIX GTX 980 ( DCII cooler ). I have two MSI Twin Frozr II 580 at the moment, and their fans are crap, plain and simple. They started making noises after only two years, and I had to replace the whole cooling module ( with Artic Accelero Xtreme IIIs ) because MSI doesn't sell just the fans.. That's just stupid... And yes, my current case is clean.

About the RAM, like I wrote, I'll start with 32 Gb, then add 32 Gb more a month later ( planning my budget, haha ). I think 64 Gb will be enough :)
"I wonder what's behind that hill..." And so began Mankind thirst to exploration.
briguy
Rogue Squadron Member
Rogue Squadron Member

Postby briguy » Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:03 pm

Kelendir Ashendar wrote:Thank you guys :) I'll get a 1000w Platinum Seasonic PSU then.

And my video cards will be the Asus STRIX GTX 980 ( DCII cooler ). I have two MSI Twin Frozr II 580 at the moment, and their fans are crap, plain and simple. They started making noises after only two years, and I had to replace the whole cooling module ( with Artic Accelero Xtreme IIIs ) because MSI doesn't sell just the fans.. That's just stupid... And yes, my current case is clean.

About the RAM, like I wrote, I'll start with 32 Gb, then add 32 Gb more a month later ( planning my budget, haha ). I think 64 Gb will be enough :)

Apologies, thought I saw 4GB not the 4-8GB in your orig post.......I need to work on my reading :P :D

Kelendir Ashendar
Rogue Squadron Member
Rogue Squadron Member

Postby Kelendir Ashendar » Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:17 pm

Haha, I may have worded that wrong too :) I meant 4 memory modules of 8 Gb each ;), not 4 Gb, then other 4 Gb. I would have made the mistake, rereading me, haha.

Edit : And a modular PSU is a must, especially if you like your computer clean and tidy :)

My current computer
DarkenSeyreth
Rogue Squadron Member
Rogue Squadron Member

Postby DarkenSeyreth » Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:59 pm

briguy wrote:Apologies, thought I saw 4GB not the 4-8GB in your orig post.......I need to work on my reading :P :D

Haha I did the exact same thing. I was thinking to myself "4GB, even at DDR4 is crap, wtf is he thinking?!" 32GB should be more than enough to start with, and I'm truly jealous.
WITNESS ME!

Current fleet: Hornet Ghost, Aurora LN, Freelancer MIS, M50

Return to “General Chat - Other Games / Off Topic”