Computer Hardware Releases/Reviews

Use this forum for discussions about games other than Star Citizen or SC forerunners, and for completely unrelated discussions. This is a public forum, so take care if you wish to post something intended only for squadron members.

Moderator: Squadron Moderator

briguy
Rogue Squadron Member
Rogue Squadron Member
Location: Northern Va--------Assets: Hornet, Constellation, 315p, M50, Retaliator, 350r

Computer Hardware Releases/Reviews

Postby briguy » Thu May 23, 2013 5:50 pm

Figured I'd start a thread for any new hardware that has released in the near past and future. Stuff for us to perhaps plan our builds on or for an interesting read.

Constellation: Dawn’s Shadow; F7C-M: Victory’s Bane; Sabre: Ombra Serena; Gladius: ; Cutlass Red: ; 350r: ; M50: ; Retaliator: ; Gladiator: ; Herald: ; Redeemer: ; Carrack: Ombreggiato Lembos; Khartu-al: ; Freelancer DUR: ; BMM: ; 890 Jump: ; Starfarer-G: ; Vanguard: ; Endeavor: ; Crucible: ; Reclaimer: ; Idirs-P: ;

“The unwanting soul sees what’s hidden, and the ever-wanting soul sees only what it wants.”

A piece of badass machinery!
briguy
Rogue Squadron Member
Rogue Squadron Member
Location: Northern Va--------Assets: Hornet, Constellation, 315p, M50, Retaliator, 350r

Re: Computer Hardware Releases/Reviews

Postby briguy » Thu May 23, 2013 5:51 pm

New Geforce GTX 780 reviews to come ;)
http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop ... ce-gtx-780

Constellation: Dawn’s Shadow; F7C-M: Victory’s Bane; Sabre: Ombra Serena; Gladius: ; Cutlass Red: ; 350r: ; M50: ; Retaliator: ; Gladiator: ; Herald: ; Redeemer: ; Carrack: Ombreggiato Lembos; Khartu-al: ; Freelancer DUR: ; BMM: ; 890 Jump: ; Starfarer-G: ; Vanguard: ; Endeavor: ; Crucible: ; Reclaimer: ; Idirs-P: ;

“The unwanting soul sees what’s hidden, and the ever-wanting soul sees only what it wants.”

CCC_Dober

Postby CCC_Dober » Thu May 23, 2013 5:55 pm

Here's a 780 review from one of my favorite hardware sites -> http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-C ... GK110-Mini

The verdict is somewhat bittersweet. Although the author has been spoiled with Titans already, so there's that.
Prowler
Rogue Squadron Member
Rogue Squadron Member

Postby Prowler » Tue May 28, 2013 6:31 pm

780? Damn. I'm still on an old 8800 since my PC died. Hope I can play Star Citizen with that. XD
Corran Horn
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Postby Corran Horn » Tue May 28, 2013 8:15 pm

I used to run a pair of 8800GT SSC's in SLI. Amazing cards. The pair of them held true and faithful and weren't beaten out until I got my GTX470. The single 470 was about half again as powerful and effective as both 8800GT's... I was sad.

FYI, the proposed minimum requirements of SC (via the blanket system requirements of Cry Engine 3) are for a 470GTX or similar. It seems that your 8800 - while still a great card - will not have enough digital horsepower to support Star Citizen.

If you are in need of a new card let me know. I currently run two 660Ti SSC's in SLI, with my old GTX470 as a dedicated PhysX card (which is complete and unadulterated overkill). If you can't afford to pick up a new video card I'd be willing to make a deal on the 470 to at least get you back into the game.

Then again we have plenty of time before the dogfighting Alpha starts, and you might grab one by then :)
briguy
Rogue Squadron Member
Rogue Squadron Member

Postby briguy » Fri May 31, 2013 1:13 am

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gef ... ,3516.html Toms Hardware review (one of the best reviewers I've read)

CCC_Dober

Postby CCC_Dober » Fri May 31, 2013 6:08 am

It appears that the $400 bracket gets some serious competition as well, which sort of puts AMD under pressure as that's where their single GPU flagship currently sits: the 7970

Check out this 770 review and see for yourself -> http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-C ... and-Availa

It's good to have options again =)
Prowler
Rogue Squadron Member
Rogue Squadron Member

Postby Prowler » Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:07 am

Corran Horn wrote:I used to run a pair of 8800GT SSC's in SLI. Amazing cards. The pair of them held true and faithful and weren't beaten out until I got my GTX470. The single 470 was about half again as powerful and effective as both 8800GT's... I was sad.

FYI, the proposed minimum requirements of SC (via the blanket system requirements of Cry Engine 3) are for a 470GTX or similar. It seems that your 8800 - while still a great card - will not have enough digital horsepower to support Star Citizen.

If you are in need of a new card let me know. I currently run two 660Ti SSC's in SLI, with my old GTX470 as a dedicated PhysX card (which is complete and unadulterated overkill). If you can't afford to pick up a new video card I'd be willing to make a deal on the 470 to at least get you back into the game.

Then again we have plenty of time before the dogfighting Alpha starts, and you might grab one by then :)

It's alright. I got a new PC and am currently using integrated graphics. Works great. (not good enough for SC, but ok for now.)
briguy
Rogue Squadron Member
Rogue Squadron Member

Postby briguy » Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:03 am

Another review up

Tom's Hardware GTX-770 Review
OCZ Vertex 490 256GB SSD - MSRP 128GB - $160, 256GB-$235GB, 512GB-$500

briguy
Rogue Squadron Member
Rogue Squadron Member

Postby briguy » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:56 pm

The Next Big Thing

This a newish internet show from CNet that looks at emerging tech that could be well the next big thing. It's pretty cool to get the rundown on these tech trends. Figured I'd post this here

Return to “General Chat - Other Games / Off Topic”