CryEngine and Star Citizen assets importing

Rogue Squadron's public grounds. Discuss any non-sensitive material within. The mess-hall is a public area where Rogue pilots may freely interact with other members of the Star Citizen universe.

Moderator: Squadron Moderator

Kelendir Ashendar
Rogue Squadron Member
Rogue Squadron Member

CryEngine and Star Citizen assets importing

Postby Kelendir Ashendar » Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:19 am

Hello friends,

Here's a little write up on how to import Star Citizen assets in CryEngine ( Steam paid version ).

The original files are located in the "...\StarCitizen\CitizenClient\Data" folder with the *.pak extension. Note that this particular extension can be opened using 7Zip as an archive, this is important later on.

On the screenshot below, I selected the pak files you'll need to extract to the CryEngine assets folder, which is "...\Steam\SteamApps\common\CRYENGINE\GameSDK".

Once in CryEngine, you can open any models using Brush or Geom Entity ( this one contains all the ships, unlike the "Brush" ), and here's the path on the right side ( I didn't extract all the models since the Scythe, Avenger or Cutlass don't interest me :lol: ) :

Nearly every time, you'll have missing textures, showing as red "Replace Me". The way to fix this is clicking on this button once you've selected the model :

Then click on "Get properties from selection" in the Material Editor widow that just popped up ( third one on top left ) :

Once you're here, you can select any sub material in the list you've just opened and you'll see all the textures used for this particular sub material :

You'll see the files name of the textures next to their layer ( Diffuse, specular, bumpmap, etc ). Those names will show as *.dds or *.tif files. Here's the twist : there are only *.dds files, even if it shows as *.tif.

To export those *.dds files, you'll have to convert them first using a small software you can find here and recreate all the materials that you'll want to use. It'll be a long, painful process, but I don't know any other way to do it, I only started using CryEngine a week ago :oops:

The Dds converter really works well, here's a little example, a dds file containing the decals of the Constellation Cygnus ( Phoenix ) : Link

I hope this helps :)
"I wonder what's behind that hill..." And so began Mankind thirst to exploration.
Elfwyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: CryEngine and Star Citizen assets importing

Postby Elfwyn » Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:07 am

Bookmarked!

I have little time through the week, but I will come back to it as soon as possible.

Thank you!

Role: Board Technical Administrator - "Got any problems? Ask me."

Current Ships (subject to change):
* Aegis Idris-M, Retaliator x2, Avenger x3, Gladius x3(-2), Redeemer x2, Vanguard x3, Sabre x3 * Anvil Hornet Super x8, Tracker x2, Gladiator x3, Carack, Crucible * Origin 890 Jump , 350R, M50 x3 * RSI Polaris, Constellation Phoenix, Orion * MISC Endeavor Hope, Starfarer-G x3, Hull B, E, Reliant Kore (-1), Mako, Sen, Tana, Prospector, Freelancer Dur * Drake Caterpillar, Cutlass Black, Red, Herald, Dragonfly x4 * Aopoa Khartu * BIRC Merchantman, Defender x2 * Crusader Genesis Starliner * Esperia Prowler
briguy
Rogue Squadron Member
Rogue Squadron Member
Location: Northern Va--------Assets: Hornet, Constellation, 315p, M50, Retaliator, 350r

Postby briguy » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:43 am

Now if we can manipulate the camera and extract that for some Rogue Squadron videos we can use for recruitment or just promos....

EDIT:
Great tutorial though!

Constellation: Dawn’s Shadow; F7C-M: Victory’s Bane; Sabre: Ombra Serena; Gladius: ; Cutlass Red: ; 350r: ; M50: ; Retaliator: ; Gladiator: ; Herald: ; Redeemer: ; Carrack: Ombreggiato Lembos; Khartu-al: ; Freelancer DUR: ; BMM: ; 890 Jump: ; Starfarer-G: ; Vanguard: ; Endeavor: ; Crucible: ; Reclaimer: ; Idirs-P: ;

“The unwanting soul sees what’s hidden, and the ever-wanting soul sees only what it wants.”

A piece of badass machinery!
Elfwyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Elfwyn » Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:54 pm

That's exactly what I am trying to do,

but since I'm not so familliar with the process yet, I am still experimenting with the Cryengine Sandbox, Blender and my Video Composition Program to see if I will be able to deliver something beyond single images.

briguy wrote:Now if we can manipulate the camera and extract that for some Rogue Squadron videos we can use for recruitment or just promos....

EDIT:
Great tutorial though!

I was thinking about something like these here: http://www.appannie.com/books/ibooks-st ... 717751997/
Just with some moving frames maybe.

Role: Board Technical Administrator - "Got any problems? Ask me."

Current Ships (subject to change):
* Aegis Idris-M, Retaliator x2, Avenger x3, Gladius x3(-2), Redeemer x2, Vanguard x3, Sabre x3 * Anvil Hornet Super x8, Tracker x2, Gladiator x3, Carack, Crucible * Origin 890 Jump , 350R, M50 x3 * RSI Polaris, Constellation Phoenix, Orion * MISC Endeavor Hope, Starfarer-G x3, Hull B, E, Reliant Kore (-1), Mako, Sen, Tana, Prospector, Freelancer Dur * Drake Caterpillar, Cutlass Black, Red, Herald, Dragonfly x4 * Aopoa Khartu * BIRC Merchantman, Defender x2 * Crusader Genesis Starliner * Esperia Prowler
briguy
Rogue Squadron Member
Rogue Squadron Member
Location: Northern Va--------Assets: Hornet, Constellation, 315p, M50, Retaliator, 350r

Postby briguy » Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:01 pm

here is a tutorial on how to create and export a videoo out of the sandbox and convert it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuyVitSfqes The person is Russian so most of the menus and options will be in Russian. I'm going to find some more because I got some ideas *rubs hands together* muahahahahahaha

EDIT:
here is another source from the sandbox manual, http://docs.cryengine.com/display/SDKDO ... e+Sequence

A better video tutorial https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ore8yfFrqNg

Constellation: Dawn’s Shadow; F7C-M: Victory’s Bane; Sabre: Ombra Serena; Gladius: ; Cutlass Red: ; 350r: ; M50: ; Retaliator: ; Gladiator: ; Herald: ; Redeemer: ; Carrack: Ombreggiato Lembos; Khartu-al: ; Freelancer DUR: ; BMM: ; 890 Jump: ; Starfarer-G: ; Vanguard: ; Endeavor: ; Crucible: ; Reclaimer: ; Idirs-P: ;

“The unwanting soul sees what’s hidden, and the ever-wanting soul sees only what it wants.”

Kelendir Ashendar
Rogue Squadron Member
Rogue Squadron Member

Postby Kelendir Ashendar » Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:39 pm

Thank you for the links Brian :) I'll study those with great interest !

And yes, I've got the some reason for using the CryEngine : make some RSQ promos videos :)

Here are some new screenshots :)

Album link

And something I've been working on ;)

Still a lot to do.
"I wonder what's behind that hill..." And so began Mankind thirst to exploration.
briguy
Rogue Squadron Member
Rogue Squadron Member

Postby briguy » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:24 pm

I cannot do much because the graphics card I have isn't great. It's only a placeholder until the 800 series comes out in Oct according to gigabyte

Kelendir Ashendar
Rogue Squadron Member
Rogue Squadron Member

Postby Kelendir Ashendar » Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:41 pm

I know the feeling :lol: My cards are 4 years old, and waiting on the new generation too :)
Kelendir Ashendar
Rogue Squadron Member
Rogue Squadron Member

Postby Kelendir Ashendar » Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:22 pm

Still working on that particular scene :)

Kelendir Ashendar
Rogue Squadron Member
Rogue Squadron Member

Postby Kelendir Ashendar » Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:13 am

/Spam on

And working on something for the Squadron....

Stay tuned :)

/Spam off

Return to “Public Mess-Hall”