Concept Art Sale (not actual sale)

Rogue Squadron's public grounds. Discuss any non-sensitive material within. The mess-hall is a public area where Rogue pilots may freely interact with other members of the Star Citizen universe.

Moderator: Squadron Moderator

Shiv-Katall
Public Speaker
Public Speaker

Re: Concept Art Sale (not actual sale)

Postby Shiv-Katall » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:40 am

The 600 Touring has caught my eye...not good lol. May scrap my stealth bomber and Cutlass for it...Ill have to pay the difference but that's ok.
Cutlass Black 'Night Caller', Dragonfly Black 'Flare', Vanguard Warden 'Starwing', Buccaneer (May replace with Hornet), Aurora LN, *REDACTED*
RS_Wraith
Squadron Communications
Squadron Communications

Postby RS_Wraith » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:23 am

Ok, Since I missed the big 600 reveal, I have got to ask of those of you who bought it. What is the draw? I love the Origin style ships and I can say that I do like the design but I just don't see the draw for a $400 ship that has comparable small cargo area and no real purpose that I can see. There are better ships for exploration, the 890 is already kind of the king of luxury with the phoenix filling the luxury "sedan" slot. I just don't see the draw.
"If you heard my shot, you were not my target."

Ships: Herald, Cutlass Red, F7C-M Super Hornet, Constellation Taurus, & 890 Jump
Deliverence
Rogue Squadron Member
Rogue Squadron Member

Postby Deliverence » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:13 pm

The draw for myself was a fast good looking luxury explorer that has a good weapons load out and one that should be easy enough for a solo pilot with some NPC's to manage. Ships like the Carrack and 890 will be better than their 600 counterparts, however the 600 series should be much easier to solo with lower running costs compared to these ships. There is also talk that the 600 will be modular, so I expect to see additional modules like the Constellation series down the track too.

Update: I was just watching Teller's video this evening and it looks like CIG haven't got the scale correct, so the ship may actually end up being considerably larger. This is somewhat concerning as I had planned to use the ship to fly solo with perhaps two NPC's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYmu31eQnA8
F7C-M | Blade | Scythe | Glaive | MM | Genesis | Crucible | Gemini | Prospector | Phoenix | 890 |600 | Hammerhead | Polaris | Idris-P | Dragonfly | Black | Nox | Kue
Kamikaz1
Rogue Squadron Member
Rogue Squadron Member

Postby Kamikaz1 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:35 pm

@Wraith: I got one but to be honest I wasn't super impressed. It's sleek and I didn't have a dedicated explorer as I had always planned to modify my 890 Jump for that role. When the 615p came along (and that's what I'm calling it) It was pretty much what I was looking to do with the 890J but smaller and with a dedicated rover bay instead of trying to shoehorn one in the cargo elevator on the 890J Plus it was the right price. I had a Banu Merchantman that cost only $210 after CCUs and a $90 Tumbril + Ursa + Greycat package I had purchased for some insane reason despite already owning the Tumbril 5-pack with the black Dust Devil skins. Luckily this time the Warbond edition had nothing worth dropping fresh cash for so one melted vehicle pack later I have a 615p for $295 and got $5 back as store credit. $400 fresh money or $435 store credit is too much but getting it for $295 just makes it $20 more expensive than a Aquila and I already have a Phoenix and I still don't like the giant swimming pool cargo bay on anything except the Taurus which is a dedicated cargo ship. Add in that I'm not the biggest fan of the Merchantman or the Banu (dirty slavers who sell their own kids into slavery) and it wasn't hard to justify the swap.
Idris-P |Comet |-REDACTED- |Hammerhead |Harbinger |-REDACTED- |Renegade |Crucible |F7A-M Super Hornet |F7C-R Hornet Tracker |U4A-3 Terrapin |Cutlass Blue |Blade |Glaive |Hull B |Prospector |Razor |Star-G |615P |890 Jump |Aurora LN |Orion |Phoenix |Polaris
Kamikaz1
Rogue Squadron Member
Rogue Squadron Member

Postby Kamikaz1 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:26 pm

So what do people think of the new Hammerhead and Hawk concepts? I like the Hammerhead as a potential 'training' ship before taking out a 'real' capital ship and the fact that all I would need to do is recruit player or npc gunners to operate it. As for the Hawk I almost got one but from the side I can't help but see a pterodactyl and it throws me off. Also I picked up a Sabre Raven a few weeks ago and that appears to have twin size 3 EMPs vs the Hawk's single size 1 EMP. Also if I want to kidnap someone I can add the module to my Renegade Titan or just use my Cutlass Blue. Regardless I ended up buying a $5 CCU to a Hawk just in case.

As for older ships the Ship Shape review on the Terrapin was just depressing. First came the Shipyard post where it became the poster-child of short range Pathfinders. That was quite a blow. Then in the Ship Shape they say that if it brings an extra person or NPC it's duration is reduced. Then it's apparently grown and I'm not sure it can fit in a Polaris anymore. Then despite growing and being a single person craft they still insist on keeping a scanning chair in the back with only one medium sized monitor. Then the comfy looking interior in the concept was replaced with all depressing gunmetal and sharp angles. Oh and the promise of a hard hitting array of weapons is never going to be a thing. All of those were blows I could accept...the final one was when they decided to go with blue and red lighting. One blow too many. Crap lighting can ruin an experience and the last thing I was expecting from my small scouting ship was a interior reminiscent of a Klingon Bird of Prey with it's poor firepower. For a Vanduul ship it would have been fine but if that's going to be Anvil's internal lighting scheme from now on I'm sticking to Anvil's smaller ships. I can only hope they get it right for the Crucible and good luck to you Carrack owners out there. I CCU'd the Terrapin to a Hammerhead and then purchased a Hawk and CCU'd it to a Hornet Tracker and applied my 20% off coupon on it all.

Image Image
Last edited by Kamikaz1 on Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Idris-P |Comet |-REDACTED- |Hammerhead |Harbinger |-REDACTED- |Renegade |Crucible |F7A-M Super Hornet |F7C-R Hornet Tracker |U4A-3 Terrapin |Cutlass Blue |Blade |Glaive |Hull B |Prospector |Razor |Star-G |615P |890 Jump |Aurora LN |Orion |Phoenix |Polaris
RS_Wraith
Squadron Communications
Squadron Communications

Postby RS_Wraith » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:25 pm

Kamikaz1 wrote:So what do people think of the new Hammerhead and Hawk concepts? ...

As for older ships the Ship Shape review on the Terrapin was just depressing. First came ... I'm sticking to Anvil's smaller ships.

I dunno. I liked the Terrapin as a long range scanner. I really don't mind the changes so far but I also didn't really pay that much attention to its different designs until recently. I like the extra armor and "turtle" ability to cover up and take a beating. I like that I don't have to have a second person in there, though I don't like that having a second person reduces my duration. the big thing that I don't understand is the the dang scanner chair. if this is supposed to be the UEE's long range scanner and is supposed to be a single manned vessel (with the second guy sleeping) in a picket line then everything should be seen from the pilots chair and the scanners chair should retract into the ceiling or something. It can be available if both are on duty but otherwise it should be able to move out of the way. My current plan is to use it as my primary exploration vessel. But that is just my thoughts.

You're right on the lighting though, I am really not much of a fan of the red and blue lighting.

Ships: Herald, Cutlass Red, F7C-M Super Hornet, Constellation Taurus, & 890 Jump
Deliverence
Rogue Squadron Member
Rogue Squadron Member

Postby Deliverence » Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:32 am

While the Hawk isn't the deadliest fighter out there, the ship itself is a complete package when it comes to bounty hunting. I decided to grab one of these and when I woke up this morning I also picked up an 8X8 land claim, however I've been struggling to decide if I should purchase the Hammerhead. The Hammerhead really lacks versatility and is essentially a pure gun ship making it hard for me to justify the price. That said I like how aggressive the ship looks and the guns sure do put a smile on your face, so I had to way up some options as to what to melt as I'm trying to reduce my spending with the game.

After much deliberation I ended up melting the Crucible, 350R, Hawk and I'll melt my newly acquired land deed tomorrow once the melt cool down is over. This will give me the exact amount of store credits needed to be able to purchase the ship outright and not have to pay tax, which is huge. I had such a hard time deciding if I should melt the Carrack or the Crucible on this one, but the value of the Carrack just seems to go up and up. Ship prices in a way correlate to in game prices, so I figure it's going to be cheaper to simply purchase the Crucible in game. It does feel a bit silly having a 600i Explorer and a Carrack, but there is no way I'd part with a 600i and the Carrack is just to versatile to get rid of. I'll probably buy back the 350R again later, but I've already spent another $180 this week, so I'll leave this for another day.

I actually like the lighting, though I can't say I was ever a fan of the Terrapin. If I'm out exploring I want at least some cargo hold to be able to bring back items I find and not just small relics. Additionally the ship never looked fast and the armor plating didn't sell me, it just meant that if the ship is under fire it's going to take a little longer to kill. I'd rather have a fast ship that can simply run away from the thing that is trying to hurt me.
F7C-M | Blade | Scythe | Glaive | MM | Genesis | Crucible | Gemini | Prospector | Phoenix | 890 |600 | Hammerhead | Polaris | Idris-P | Dragonfly | Black | Nox | Kue
Kamikaz1
Rogue Squadron Member
Rogue Squadron Member

Postby Kamikaz1 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:07 am

@Wraith: Yeah I had planned to use the Terrapin as my long range scanner as well up until CIG released the Roles Shipyard a few weeks back and re-designated the Terrapin as a short term explorer with limited duration. I also agree wholeheartedly about the chair and even started a thread on the subject before I decided to give up on it (for now). Forum Link: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spec ... ons-of-the

@Deliverence: I feel you on rationalizing to get a Hammerhead. At first I thought it was nifty but I wasn't going to pay $650 for it when I already had a Polaris and a Idris-P. But the more I thought about it the more it appealed to me as a 'practice' capital ship. It's smaller size should make it a bit more forgiving and responsive and it's turrets should keep the costs down and if I found it hard to keep the size 3 missiles supplied then I clearly have a long ways to go before I'm firing 4x size 10 torpedo salvos from the Polaris. Also I figure it'll be less stressful to lose than the Polaris or Idris. I can possibly even see myself lending the Hammerhead out or letting someone else captain it in a defensive role while running a mining op in my Orion.

As for how I afforded it my original plan was to CCU the Terrapin in my Armada package into the Hammerhead after using a Vanguard to Merchantman CCU to Knock $100 off the price alongside another $71 from the other purchased CCUs using my 20% off subscriber coupon. I was going to rebuild the Terrapin outside the package and I was going to nab a LTI Freelancer MIS as well since I had been wanting that back lately and I was going to CCU a Mustang Delta into a Hawk just to have both of the new concepts. All together it was going to cost me $260 out of pocket after melting a Hornet Wildfire and Vanguard Hoplite plus the coupon. But like you I had been wanting to cut back on the money being spent on the game as well so I thought about it some more and decided that since I'm getting the Hammerhead I didn't really need the Freelancer MIS since the Hammerhead fulfills the same role of gunship but just in a bigger and better way. So after taking that out and reworking things so I was getting the most out of my coupon the total dropped to around $97.

I was pretty content with that but after giving it several days of thought I had decided to abandon the Terrapin and to just go back to my original beloved sensor ship the Hornet Tracker. After once again reworking everything it came to $71. When I saw that number I looked at the Mustang Delta in a Digital Bounty Hunter package worth $70 and decided to skip out on the Hawk and add it to the melt pile for $1 out of pocket to get a Hammerhead and a Hornet Tracker. But I screwed up. I forgot to take out the discounted cost of the Mustang Delta to Hawk CCU in my caculations and ended up with a -$19 credit but I didn't figure out the numbers weren't adding up until after I'd already melted everything. So since I was at $99 saved on my max $100 coupon I added a $5 Herald to Hawk CCU just in case I changed my mind and that left me with a -$15 credit.

I decided to see how the Land Claim sell would go the next day before spending it thinking that if it was around $20 for a land claim I would probably pick one up no matter what. If however it was over $20 CIG would have to give me a pretty decent reason to put more money towards one. So the sale happened and to me CIG did a great job explaining how it's not Pay 2 Win and how hard it's going to be to own land and how no one who buys a land claim now is getting an advantage over anyone else. That was all well and good. What they didn't do however was convince me why in the world I would spend $50 to $100 on a plot of land I can't do anything with unless I know one of the 4,000 or so owners of a $850 capital ship 200m long. As far as I can tell if you don't have a Pioneer the most you can do is mine on it with a Prospector...something you can already do even if you don't own the land. I would be literally giving CIG $50-$100 for nothing. Not even the jpeg of an item. It's literally empty land that we haven't even discovered yet and to put the cherry on top not only can we 'not' use it until the feature is available for all but we get 'zero' advantage. Not even a little defense turret or some other token structure. We just get to pay money for something anyone can buy for in game UEC. Those who wait don't even have to worry about availability or rarity or any promise of higher prices later like with ships. All they have to do is walk into an office, drop some UEC and walk out with their fancy claim stick. I took one look at the prices and dropped the remaining -$15 credits into a Super Hornet to Terrapin CCU. Just in case they fix it I'll have a CCU for it and I have plenty of methods of unmelting/building a Super Hornet whenever I want.
RS_Wraith
Squadron Communications
Squadron Communications

Postby RS_Wraith » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:25 am

@kamikazi: you know that we have 2 or 3 pioneers in the fleet (maybe more) right? I mean I agree with you on the pricing but if your main concern is because you don't own the ship needed to install a base you needn't worry we have that covered. Just wanted to make sure you knew. I am still kicking around the idea of getting the small plot. I am waiting to see what comes of Drake

Kamikaz1
Rogue Squadron Member
Rogue Squadron Member

Postby Kamikaz1 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:49 am

@Wraith: Sorry for the misconception but my main issue with the Pioneer is that it forces you to stay in one place guarding a patch of dirt instead of exploring the 'Verse. Also what do you do with a 200m capital ship that builds bases after you're done building your base if you don't want to take up a career of building bases? On top of all of that CIG only sold about 4,000 of them for a inflated price in a game with over a million players so owners of Pioneers will likely be tracked down for good or ill just because they have one. That said I had no idea we had any Pioneers in the fleet. This thread was practically dead when the sale happened so I figured there was no interest.

Return to “Public Mess-Hall”